MY CITRUS FRUIT CULTIVATION IN SICILY
What We Do
Farmer-to-consumer direct marketing (pick your own on demand, online food hubs) * Local producers cooperative
- A Sicilian grower of Tarocco oranges, lemons and olive trees in the rural area of Francofonte, a hilltop village between Catania and Syracuse, in eastern Sicily.
- I am and I want to remain "small", meaning that my orchards does not exceed 2 ha totally.
- I am a custodian of the traditional rural landscape and a preserver of the local cultural heritage in danger of being eliminated by high-yield, intensive commercial farming.
- A farmer with an eye toward what’s next since I have been working over the last years to add value to my products by processing and direct selling.
- Together with my daughters and my wife, I am committed to being a promoter of my countryside by offering several on-farm activities.
Eastern Sicily: ideal environment for citrus production
My citrus orchards are located on the rolling hills on the outskirts of Francofonte, a village not far from Syracuse, in Eastern Sicily. Our special location within the territories around Mount Etna, the highest active volcano in Europe, helps us grow the most delicious orange on the Italian market today: the Tarocco variety.